Monday, November 21, 2011

Winter Layering

When I first moved to the US from warm and humid Bombay I simply dreaded winters! I would wonder how does one look fashionable when all bundled up and packed inside bulky jackets and coats. The thought of looking like an Eskimo for almost 4 months of the year would throw me into the blues.
But then gradually I learn the art of LAYERING and realized the numerous unique outfits you can come up with using the same pieces of clothing and still look chic and charming. It was like an “aha” moment when I figured this out…and since then I eagerly look forward to this time of the year to experiment with my pieces.

But then as destiny would have it, not that I am complaining, I moved again...this time to Sunny California!
Although, northern California is not as warm as the south but its pretty cool and I love the change in seasons without the need to experience the extremes.

The pictures below are from one of my trips to snow covered Mt. Rainier.

Layering is all about mixing colors, lengths and textures. Layer it such that each piece is visible. There is no point in wearing a cropped print top only to be covered with long polo neck sweater.

Layering allows you to adapt to the varying temperatures during the day. Its easy to throw off the jacket, gloves and cap like I have, as it gets a little warmer during the day and put it back on towards the cooler evenings.

 I love printed socks! Simply adorable.


Beanie : Borrowed
Military green jacket: Primark (£13)
Yellow Sweater and socks: Forever21 ($11 and around $1 respectively)
Black sweater top: Ross (don't remember)
Blue Cami: Forever21 ($3)
White Shoes: Local Store (Nu Pair) ($10)
Lavender bead necklace: Corning museum of Glass. (don't remember)

2 comments: